I don’t think anyone would have imagined a world where you could gather all your friends in one place and still be friends and keep in touch with each other despite not actually speaking to them, let alone know them personally. Social networking sites are pretty helpful in that way, but obviously, we have seen problems along the lines.
One problem for me personally is the amount of friends I have on my list who I either do not know, who post depressing/useless status updates or people who are not worth keeping in touch with.
I think if there’s one bad thing social networking sites force us to become is a HOARDER. There, I said it! Most of us (not all, but most) hoard (‘keep’) friends for one of those ‘just in case we need them in the future’ reasons. I mean, it’s alright if you don’t mind keeping them in your list, but it becomes a problem when they give you problems, you know. Like when they constantly post depressing statuses that depresses you too, or people who just so fake – it’s so annoying.
If you genuinely want to keep friends for networking purposes and being genuinely interested in keeping in touch with them, then that’s cool. But when doing that meant that you have to face CONSTANT negative vibes from this person (whether pointed directly/indirectly at you or not at all, but towards the general friends in his/her list), then it’s time to delete them, for your own good.
You don’t need all these drama as you have your own issues to deal with you, you know? But in saying that, you do need to know some of the general result to deleting people off your Facebook, i.e., they will get upset at you which I personally feel that they should stop doing that, especially when you and them are not CLOSE friends anyways, you know?
But anyway, I’ve compiled these list based on my own personal experience.
People who you should delete off Facebook
- You don’t know them.
- You used to know them but now we don’t. Both him/her and you have grown and are complete strangers now.
- You don’t want to have anything to do with them.
- You find them annoying, fake, incredibly negative and/or condescending to other people (you should always ALWAYS have positive people surrounding you)
- People who post depressing statuses all the time. Sure, you have the right to exercise your right as a Facebook account owner by expressing yourself in whatever manner, but that’s what Twitter are for, post depressing shit there.
- You want my list to be only of close friends and family.
- Too much drama on Facebook.
- These ‘friends’/ family are spies who are obsessed with finding all the wrong things (to them anyway) that you do with your life and need a reason to ‘complain’ about you.
- You added them in the past because you thought they are/were cute (superficial, yes, I know), but you’re not interested in having them in your list now.
- Ex-boyfriends/girlfriends, ex-friends, ex-classmates etc that are not worth keeping in touch with.
- Acquaintances or people you met off the internet (I would usually put my profile on strict privacy setting for these bunch)
- Friends who have changed and are terrorizing my life (real story; happened to me)
- Friends who think that they have the right to bring you to the ‘right path’ just because they are more religious than you and felt entitled to ‘teach’ you by dissing your lifestyle and values.
- You were forced to be Facebook-friends with them because your parents, friends – whoever – told (forced) you to do it.
- People (you barely know) shamelessly told you to add them on Facebook.
- They are not active on Facebook and you find no reason to keep them on your list – can this be a reason? I rather keep in touch with them via Whatsapp or whatever if they’re not into social networking sites.
- You want to keep them on your list, and Facebook is not suitable. Perhaps, other social networking platforms? – Skype, Twitter, Tumblr, email, Whatsapp?
- People who constantly post/share pictures/articles of dead people/animals/generally disgusting things for the fun of it. WHY?
- Frenemies – someone whom you are friends with dislikes, but secretly is Facebook friends with them to constantly find out what they’re up to and how you can top them off with your own success.
People who you should keep on Facebook
- Friends and family whom you don’t mind snooping around your private life – they are understanding and cool with your life and your believes, so that’s awesome.
- Positive people! POSITIVE! None of those constant depressing, self obnoxious, condescending status updates on your dashboard. Pure bliss!
- People who post uplifting, humorous, and/or intellectually-stimulating status updates are awesome – or people who don’t post anything at all, doesn’t matter, as long as it’s nothing negative or depressing.
- Your idols; people who inspire you- also whom you may or may not know but accepted your friend request anyway which is cool of them.
- People who do not belong in the list above.
- It’s their right to do so, so whatever. I don’t care. I do it myself too – deleting people and stuff.
- I may belong in the list of ‘People I delete’. You can’t please everyone, unfortunately.
- I would rather have someone delete me if they feel that I do not ‘contribute’ as a friend. It makes both our lives easy and deleting/blocking me off Facebook would not ruin my friendship with you, so don’t feel bad about deleting me because I would still treat you as a friend and I respect your decision to ‘cleanse’ your online presence.
- Fuck you too! LOL. Kidding. Let’s be real life friends now.
LOL. Okay, bye!
(P.S.: An article worth reading perhaps? ‘The Top Five Types of People We All Unfriend On Facebook‘)